Quotable Quotes

“Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.”
~ E.L. Doctorow

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

- Oscar Wilde

Month of November

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day 15: First “chapter book” you can remember reading as a child

Coontreesummer15
Coon Tree Summer by Mary A. Landis

The adventurous tales on Merry Brook Farm were more than probably read in conjunction with a million other books as I don't remember walking into reading. I like to consider my foray into the written word was taken at a sprint and I've since settled into a steady marathon pace.

Books are to Sarah Peloquin as running is to Eric Liddell. (See Google for more information on an amazing man, missionary, and athlete.) Or just watch Chariots of Fire...Vangelis did an amazing job on the music score.

Anyhow, the book was a favorite of mine for quite a while. I think it was a picture of a simpler life and the romanticized view of the Mennonite or Amish style existence made me crave what I did not have. We lived in the city where kids were bullies, hard work nearly non-existent for said kids (hence the bullying), and home schooled children were the awkward minority...

Mind you, this was all from the perspective of a seven year old.

Regardless, the family life in the pages of this book were enviable at the time and I constantly wished for a better life.

I read it again just a few months ago and smiled. Though still an enviable life with its simplicity and carefree childhood days, I am very content with the Life God has given me to live here and now.

Though I do hope someday that my children will read this book and smile as well.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment