Quotable Quotes

“Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.”
~ E.L. Doctorow

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

- Oscar Wilde

Month of November

Monday, August 29, 2011

Writing with Purpose

Hey all my fine people!

Today, I would like to take the time to discuss purpose-driven writing.

If you are at all like me, writing is my passion. I write because I want to. In school, the worst assignments were the research papers. Not only could I not stand writing pre-assigned papers, but the grading system was usually based on the professor's own biases. If I failed to meet their standards, my paper fell flat. Fortunately, I learned early on how to BS my way through it - using exceptional vocabulary and a lot of fluff. (To any of my professors, I am so sorry for making you read that junk.) I sounded like I knew what I was talking about.

I could not tell you one word of the papers I wrote in college - they were burned quite ceremoniously when my State Boards result came back with FLYING colors. Apparently all I really learned about college writing is that you can bluff magnificently and still manage to take a completely unrelated test with little or no difficulty.

Now if only that bluffing business worked in a game of Texas Hold'em...my poker face is non-existent.

Back to my purpose for writing about purpose-driven writing...

I want everything I do to glorify God. Even if His name isn't actually in a 200 page manuscript I have penned, I want His influence to be indelibly seared into the inked pages. So I have decided that this year's 3 Day Novel contest will be my first true attempt at melding two of my Passions into one artistic, frenzied, INSANE weekend.

God and writing! What could be better?

Okay...not counting my kids and my wonderfully supportive husband who puts up with my madness. Or my social media communications manager... Or my mom who will most likely be babysitting for this event... Or...

You get the picture.

I have priorities of course. I am a wife and mother. I am a daughter, a sister, a friend. These are all hats that I am proud to wear. And they all change and influence my life in some way, shape, or form.

To write though...that's more than just a hat I wear. It's a talent that was given exclusively to me. Not to my husband (though he does write on occasion and it's good reading material). Not to my kids - they haven't even really learned their letters yet.

It is my gift - this passion for the written word. And I intend to USE it. For pleasure, for encouragement, for entertainment, for wisdom, and as a labor of love. If I am completely honest; yes, I would love to see my name in Lights as well.

Most of all, I want to write for Purpose. :-)

Okay, so now that I got that introduction out of the way. The weekend of Labor Day - September 3-5, 2011 - get ready to join me on my purpose-driven journey!

The Hannah Center is all about taking care of women in crises. James 1:27 (Message) says this:
Anyone who sets himself up as "religious" by talking a good game is self-deceived. This kind of religion is hot air and only hot air. Real religion, the kind that passes muster before God the Father, is this: Reach out to the homeless and loveless in their plight, and guard against corruption from the godless world.
 The Hannah Center does this well. Looking after those in need both spiritually and physically. I want to support that effort!

So I will be using my writing weekend frenzy as a platform with which to spread the word! I would love it if you joined me in this... Hannah Center Fundraiser! Just follow the link and it will take you to my Crowd Rise personal projects page. There you can make a donation of $10 or more to a ministry that truly shows the love of God to those who most need to see it! Just $15 can buy a canister of formula to feed a hungry baby. The Hannah Center uses volunteers and funds to offer room, board, transportation, clothing, baby necessities, and much more to women and children in the surrounding communities.

Don't hesitate! Life is precious and it is also brief...giving is a blessing that receives as much as it blesses others.

I know in these times of economic hardships, it is frightening and stressful to think of giving when your needs are so important! God sees this and He knows your needs. Even the smallest bit helps.

Thank you! I will be enjoy updating you all on the progress of my writing weekend AND the progress of my fundraising goals! :-)

God bless...

No comments:

Post a Comment