Quotable Quotes

“Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.”
~ E.L. Doctorow

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

- Oscar Wilde

Month of November

Monday, October 24, 2011

Day 13: Book whose main character is most like you

Novel7a

Labyrinth: A Novel by A.C.H. Smith

 

I am not ashamed to admit this. This day was kind of a cheat day. I will explain why in a moment.


First, I would like to apologize for not sticking to the "30 Day" plan like I promised. It's been a rough few weeks and anyone who's a mom of sick kids can totally understand when I say that sleepless nights does not begin to cover it...

Anyhow. So I cheated just a bit. This was not originally a book at all. It was a movie. The Labyrinth with David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly. Jim Henson's genius and Brian Froud's imagination created a cult classic; which in turn, spawned a book that is completely unlike the movie in many ways.

The one thing they both share in common?

A heroine named Sarah whose stormy teenage years, fraught with drama and imaginary worlds, created an escapist/victimized adolescent who needed for once to be the heroine in her story.

Read the book; watch the movie.

Sarah Williams was me fifteen years ago. Not Kidding.

I had the imagination, creativity, and drama to fit the bill. I could have BEEN Sarah Williams in a past life (not too distant past though since we are nearly contemporaries.)

The only difference between her and I? (okay aside from the fact that my parents are still happily married and the siblings I wished away weren't half-siblings)

She actually had a real life Goblin King to come sweep her off her feet - AND play the villain in her story all at the same time.

My "Goblin King"/Knight in shining armor, didn't exist except within my own mind.

I have read the book and seen the movie. I LOVE both. Even David Bowie...only guy I know who can actually look somewhat attractive in a mullet and makeup.

But you did NOT hear that from me...

No comments:

Post a Comment