Quotable Quotes

“Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.”
~ E.L. Doctorow

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

- Oscar Wilde

Month of November

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

NaNoWriMo 2011

Tried it last year. Got to 3500 words and stopped. Don't really know why. It might have been pregnancy, or the moving cross-country thing, or maybe I just didn't care much about it at that point.

Sorry. I should probably explain why I am rambling on about something that happened this time last year.

National Novel Writing Month in November. Say that three times fast..

Images

I know what you're thinking. "You just DID a novel writing weekend. Are you insane?"

Either that or, "A novel in a month should be a breeze for someone who just clocked 27,000 words in three days. Right?"

Yes and no...respectively.

I am insane. That has already been proven. One of my favorite quotes is from E.L. Doctorow. He says that,

Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.

I am a writer; therefore, I am schizophrenic. See? Easy. I listen to voices in my head all the time. Sometimes they tell me to kill people...sometimes they tell me to maim and seriously disable someone...sometimes they tell me that I need to seriously get a life...

Sometimes they tell me to change the world.

It's a good thing the voices only allow this stuff on paper isn't it? Okay, minus the changing the world thing...

So I am competing in another contest and since the question about my sanity has been answered, I will address your other concern.

I had a weekend of no kids, no (okay very little) husband, no meal making, cleaning, laundry, yard work, or other distractions of any kind...

This contest is all about writing when life is still going on all around you. Making the words flow when babies are crying, husbands are bellowing for dinner, and that leaning tower of laundry in your room is about to perform a successful coup of your supposed bedroom sanctuary.

I am not doing a fundraiser this year. My body, brain, and life are too massively uncoordinated right now. I blame my smalls and my husband...mostly. :0)

I am writing 50,000+ words in November - starting at 12:01am on the 1st and ending at 11:59pm on the 30th. No prize money is being doled out, but a whole heck of a lot of satisfaction at my accomplishment will be felt.

So if you all want to support me in this endeavor, send me flowers, chocolate, HUGS, chocolate, did I say flowers, offers of babysitting (always welcome, though payment would be in the form of a meal or three...), a bottle of champagne to celebrate, PRAYER (mandatory if nothing else is), and did I say chocolate and flowers? Oh, oh. And hugs...

I will be updating sporadically whether by video or blog (or both) and you will get to see a glimpse into my craziness as a hopeful writer/author!


See you!

No comments:

Post a Comment