Quotable Quotes

“Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.”
~ E.L. Doctorow

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

- Oscar Wilde

Month of November

Friday, October 7, 2011

Day 9: Book that makes you sick

Inheritancecycle9
The Inheritance Cycle

 

Okay. No offense to Christopher Paolini or Stephenie Meyers. I actually liked these books on first glance. But it was a toss-up as to which series made me more "sick" and I will explain before a million Eragon/Twilight fans start sending me death threats.


I excelled in spelling/grammar/anything to do with the English language in high school and college. Granted, it's been several years since I have actively taken part in a continuing education course on any of these subjects. As a writer/reader however, I must indeed reflect on the travesty that both of these book series have become in my point of view.

I feel bad for both authors because their editors botched it - badly. The grammar and structure of their stories are atrocious. While it may not (and did not) deter a first read through, I have read and re-read these books over and over again in order to pick out just what they did wrong.

That being said, I am focusing on the Inheritance Cycle because there is more at stake here than the poor grammar usage.

Has ANYONE else caught the not-so-subtle references to the Lord of the Rings?

Really?

I cannot be the only one.

Urgal?

Shade?

Ra'zac?

The whole relationship between Aragorn...I'm sorry...Eragon and Arwen...oops...Arya?

Granted there are subtle differences. I just cannot shake the feeling that I am reading a badly rewritten Lord of the Rings trilogy whenever I pick up the books.

I was home schooled. So I find it insulting that a home schooled boy would try to skive off a classic (and epic) tale to rework it into his own fantasy series. Now, I am certain he did not do it intentionally; he's a creative mind influenced by the works of others.

I just don't appreciate his work like I did the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. Tolkien was epic.

Paolini? I have a feeling he was/is a Larper.

Just a guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment