Quotable Quotes

“Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.”
~ E.L. Doctorow

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

- Oscar Wilde

Month of November

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

In which progress is made and much sleep is lost

Paperpagesnanofridge
I really do NOT need to lose more sleep at this juncture. My brain is already fogged and my body protests every lost MINUTE that I willingly surrender to the cause of writing.

I love it.

My goal this year, as it is for any NaNo participant, is to reach 50,000 words by November 30th. A more personal goal is to finish the manuscript I am currently working on no matter how many words that takes.

So I really do not need to lose sleep. My first day, I clocked in at a little over 3200 words. When the daily goal is a measly 1667, I'd say I'm doing pretty darn good. The problem I am facing (which is the main reason why I actually lose sleep when I don't need to) is that I edit my work as I go.

I've never experienced a "rough" rough draft before. My first drafts are ALWAYS polished thanks in large part (or no thanks depending on the perspective) to my inner editor. She just cannot see the point in vomiting up my stories and ideas on the page without completely ripping it to shreds line by line. Except for a brief period in my elementary school days, I've always written my first drafts with FAR too much care and concern.

Got me BRILLIANT grades in school. Doesn't help me in reaching a large word count goal in a month.

I was journaling for my Devotional time just the other day and caught myself editing.

Seriously. Who edits their private journal? I think I might have a problem.

I wonder if they have any twelve step programs for writers with inner editor addictions.

Note to self: Organize a support group for IEA...

No comments:

Post a Comment