Quotable Quotes

“Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.”
~ E.L. Doctorow

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

- Oscar Wilde

Month of November

Friday, September 23, 2011

The Execution

Define: Execution (As stated by Merriam-Webster online)
  1. A putting to death especially as a legal penalty
  2. The process of enforcing a legal judgment (as against a debtor); also : a judicial writ directing such enforcement 
  3. The act or mode or result of performance
 Christ was put to death legally - okay, so the legal system of the time was screwy and biased. It does not negate the first statement. Caesar executed judgment on Jesus Christ and his soldiers (and the jeering crowds) executed the execution of their Savior.

Do not ask me why I was contemplating this, nor why I messed around with the definitions of the word execute. I couldn't really tell you. I was actually contemplating a very pivotal moment in my yet unfinished manuscript and that led me to define the word.

Which then led me to this strange, morbid, and disturbing contemplation of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. 

Which then led me further into the contemplation of what exactly he actually did for me. 

He was bruised for my (our) transgressions...then he received the "legal" punishment of a criminal in those days and lost his life on the cross.

His human life. He walked among us; the blood and DNA of his creation actually ran through his own veins and he took on the characteristics of the created. 

For me.

He bled and died so that I would have the chance to bleed and die free from the powerful chains of sin. Why? Certainly not for anything I've ever done. Let's face it, I can definitely say that nothing I've done on this earth is deserving of His sacrifice. So why?

He died for love of me? Oh that I could truly understand the depths of a love like that. I see glimpses of it in the deep love I have for my children and the enduring love I have for my husband...but even that love is not close to perfect by any stretch of the imagination. I would die for my children; most of the time I would die for my husband too. =D

But I am selfish and myopic and egocentric. I judge by first impressions and I most definitely hold grudges (hopefully that has improved over the years...)

No way could I ever truly understand just what kind of love would hold a human being/deity to the cross for me. For the world...


On a more serious note however, that kind of puts in perspective just how temporary are my own aches and pains. 


After actually keeping oneself on a cross for an entire world full of sin-laden, imperfect people, how painful must it be on a continuing basis to see that same group of people throw such a perfect love back into the face of the one who gave ALL.



No comments:

Post a Comment