Quotable Quotes

“Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.”
~ E.L. Doctorow

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

- Oscar Wilde

Month of November

Monday, September 19, 2011

On Writing with the Voices in My Head

I hear voices in my head...seriously.

They tell me stories and pretty much dictate exactly how they will look, act, and feel on paper. The only time they control me is...well all the time I guess.

As long as I am in writer's mode anyway. Which pretty much is all the time. Just most of the time, I manage to suppress the voices when I am wearing my other hats - like mommy, wife, etc.

But yeah. I do hear voices. Some people don't believe me.

Others might want to have me committed.

I just say the voices are relatively harmless in that they only manage to deprive me of sleep, sustenance, and real relationships...that last one truly does impact my marriage at times. It's a good thing I have an understanding spouse. He's brilliant about handling my voices.

Honestly. I woke him up one night at two in the morning to tell him that I'd been awake for hours trying to argue the voices into sleeping until a more decent hour. His response?

Sarah, they aren't going to go away just because you are arguing with them. Just write down what they tell you and go back to sleep after they stop talking voluntarily.
 Of course, I don't think he was truly that coherent. But close enough. :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment